Monday, 26 March 2007
Today the population of the worm bin has risen to around 1500 worms with addition of another 250g worth of eisenia fetida. They have been introduced to combat the increased amount of organic waste that the household is producing (a direct result of using an organic box scheme service). Thanks to the Royal Mail they have spent the weekend inside a collection office down the road but thankfully all is well and they are now safely tucked up inside their new home :)
Sunday, 18 March 2007
Sunday, 11 March 2007
Following on from the planting of new food I have decided to test the quality of the fertiliser that the worms are producing. I have set up 3 'pots' (recycled cardboard containers from our organic vegetables box scheme), in each of the pots there is a different mix of soil. Pot 1 has compost in it; Pot 2 has compost mixed with vermicompost (the stuff i get from the worm bin); and Pot 3 has pure vermicompost in it. I have planted Nasturtium seeds in these and will observe the progress of these over the coming months to see if there is any difference in growth between the 3 pots.